Sunday, November 17, 2013

We're Expecting!

I cannot believe I am already at the end of my 15th week of my pregnancy.  Where has the last four months gone?  It has been a roller coaster of a ride for us so far (for myself, Eric and baby!).

Eric and I were "practicing" in the spring, so that when we went to Hawaii in the summer we would really be trying, except nothing happened.  I should really remember that nothing, and I mean nothing, happens the way it's supposed to.  I was ready to buy a "Made in Maui" onesie and pick out a nice Hawaiian name.  After our honeymoon, I was becoming discouraged every month when all our hard work (giggle) produced a negative result.  I went back to work in August and just got wrapped up in curriculum, IEP's and behavior plans that I totally forgot I should have gotten my period Labor Day weekend.  The following weekend I had an event for the Brides Against Breast Cancer organization.  I was again busy selling wraps, but thought it was odd that I still didn't get my period.  We took an at home test Saturday afternoon and it came back positive!  I was shocked, thrilled, scared and every other emotion rolled up into one.  Eric was waiting in the hallway and the minute I saw him I just burst into tears.  He was excited, but not convinced.  "Maybe you should take another one in a few days and make sure it is in the morning, like you're supposed to," negative Nancy told me.  So on Tuesday morning, I took the test before I went to work and I left it on the counter next to his phone and wallet, just so he could see it was positive for the second time.

The next two weeks were torture, while waiting to see the doctor to indeed confirm that with all the scientific knowledge of another pregnancy test that I was, in fact, pregnant.  Our new OBGYN, Dr. S. confirmed that I was only seven weeks along and that all we could do was talk- no heartbeat, no ultrasound, no exam, no nothing.  This is my first time at the pregnancy stuff, so I was very confused and disappointed.  So we talked.  And talked.  For an hour!  What doctor wants to spend an hour with you to talk Packer football and Tiger's baseball and celebrity encounters?  Dr. S!  As a Wisconsin native, she has already won the heart of my husband (I have yet to meet anyone from Wisconsin that I didn't like) and since she is a doctor that listens and spends more than enough time with her patients, she has won me over, too.  The next eight weeks are a whole different journey- for another post...

1 comment: